Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to School Eats!




Looking for an idea to send with your kiddo for snack or lunch? I had this little brain child late Monday night. A perfect healthy snack! Not my finest packaging or note-making, but it was late & I was tired.

Just add celery, PB, raisins & cheesy mom-note!

And after school?

What goes better with the first day of school than milk & cookies?

Probably a nap. Which is what we had afterward!

No recipe (obviously!) is needed for Ants on a Log, but for the cookies, you must try my favorite cookie recipe of all. And I've tried lots & lots. My sweet baby girl will tell you they're the best. Or at least she'll clap and demand more using her version of baby sign language! Try them, you'll see!

The Chewy Cookie
Courtesy of/adapted ever-so-slightly from Alton Brown
2 sticks butter, melted (I use the microwave to melt & use either salter or unsalted)
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 TB milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips of your choice (I like semi-sweet)

Sift together the flour, soda & salt. I use a sieve. I hate the sifter. It takes too long.
Add the melted butter to your mixer bowl, along with both sugars. Cream together on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, milk & vanilla and mix until it looks so good that you want to lick it. Or until well combined, whichever comes first.
Slowly add in the flour mixture. Scrape into another bowl if desired (for refrigeration) & fold in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but up to a day.
Preheat oven to 375. Bring dough to almost room temp before attempting the following step, or be prepared to break your ice cream scoop. Using a #20 disher (or standard ice cream scoop), scoop big 'ole balls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper, but it's not necessary)--about 6 dough balls (!) to a sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely. If you can wait that long.

Pour yourself some milk & thank me for introducing you to the best. darn. chocolate chip cookie. ever.

2 comments:

  1. I just made the cookies and they were fabulous! I love chewy cookies. I thought that I had a great recipe for c.c. cookies, but this is so much better. My husband, who doesn't even like chocolate chip cookies, thought they were great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you tried these, Mandy! My hubby doesn't like c.c. cookies, either, but loves these, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!