Friday, September 18, 2009

On the Creative Process


Does it ever happen that you don't know when enough is "enough"?

I have used that phrase with the kidlets.

But I sometimes don't heed my own advice. I seem to have this insatiable need, when working on many projects (particularly those involving paint), to do just one more thing.

And so many times, that one more thing is the one thing that ruins (in my opinion) the project, where it fails to meet the vision I had in my head for the final product.

That failure to put the brush down occurred again today. I hate it when that happens. I had to
sand down my project and start again.

My advice to the crafter, painter, candlestickmaker is this: Know when enough is enough! Trust your judgement! Step away from the _____ (fill-in-the blank: canvas, glue gun, etc)! Sometimes one step less can be one step better.

As for me, I'm off to finish the project that could have been done hours ago, save the s-t-u-p-i-d (that's a naughty word around here!) urge to do just one more thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!