Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Letting Go

"There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots, the other is wings."-Hodding Carter















I do believe there are other important bequests we leave to our children, but I suppose that within the realm of "roots" are love, faith in Christ, hope, and the desire to work hard and be kind. I know they've got a good foundation for the "roots" and will continue to develop further. So today, they both started earning their wings as they set off to school!

I wrote each of my school-bound boys a letter last night. I didn't shed a tear until I heard my oldest read the letter aloud (Needless to say, the "A" "I" "The" sight words are already mastered!). The letter basically expressed how proud I am of each little boy and how it's hard to let go, but that I know God has each of them in the palm of His hand. And I know He does.


So, with that (and some tears), my boys were off to school, backpacks and all.





















The boys are 20 months apart and best friends in the whole, wide world.


As soon as he entered the kindergarten room, my little man headed to the reading nook. When his sister arrived, she joined him and he read to her. I found another reason to tear up!

Luckily, I didn't lose it and kept the tears to a minimum. Mostly, it was a very happy day. We are incredibly proud to have two fantastic boys and two amazing schools to which we can send them. They both had terrific days at school. In the words of the big kindergartner, it was "perfect." The feeling is mutual.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!