Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!!




Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, 
but the parent of all the others.
                                                           -Cicero


While today's celebrations began as a result of thankfulness to God for surviving in a new land, I would say that the heart of the matter today is about an attitude of gratitude.


Gratitude for the lot in life we've been given, for the family we have, for the food on our plates, the roof over our heads, the food in our bellies, the internets on our computer (!)....We may have it "rough" some days, but I know that I am surely blessed.


As the doxology that I loved to sing as a small child states, "Praise God from whom all blessings flow."


And that is that. Nothing good that I have is a result of much more than a God who loves me, despite my flaws and failures. Sure, hard work and chance and timing and all that. But, truly, I know that "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father...." (James 1:17).


I hope that your Thanksgiving day is full of happiness and joy, butter and carbs, laughter and hugs. I hope the same for me. And I hope that, at its heart, my Thanksgiving is full of an attitude of gratitude---for the little stuff and the big stuff. 


Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!